Basketball team

Wichita State AfterShocks Basketball Team Wins TBT Game

During their brief stint in The Basketball Tournament, the AfterShocks have become specialists in the art of dramatic throwback and jaw-dropping Elam Ending.

There was no need for those skills in Friday’s TBT opener, as the Wichita State men’s basketball team scored its first blowout win in three years at a an 83-52 win over We Are D3.

While the game may not have produced the level of theater Wichita State fans have come to expect, the crowd of nearly 4,800 were treated to three straight finishes before the nightcap. The win propelled the AfterShocks to TBT Wichita Regional Semi-Finals against the Texas Tech Air Raiders at 7 p.m. Saturday.

“It’s nice not having a heart attack winning a game,” said AfterShocks coach Zach Bush. “It’s not as exciting as the last two games we’ve won here, but shoot, we’ll take it. I don’t think anyone is going to complain about a 30 point win. It’s a little better for our blood pressure.

The contest felt very much like a top-flight Division I team taking on a Division III team, especially in the first four minutes of the game when the AfterShocks battled We Are D3 to take a 13-0 lead. The visitors never fell in single digits again, as We Are D3 finished with 16 turnovers, shot 28.4% from the field and made just 6 of 35 three-pointers.

After a Tyrus McGee triple put the AfterShocks on the board, Rashard Kelly applied one-man pressure, stripped the ballhandler and finished with an easy dunk. Seconds later, McGee joined him in the all-court press and pushed the ball again, which led to another field goal.

“We didn’t even foresee this, it kind of happened,” Conner Frankamp, ​​a 2018 Wichita State graduate, said of the impromptu press. “We got two easy baskets and got off to a quick start and kept running throughout the game and it worked out well for us.”

“They always say the first game is the hardest with the pressure and it’s the first one,” said 2019 WSU graduate Markis McDuffie. relax.”

Not only did the AfterShocks build an early lead, maintain it and expand it over the course of the game, but they did so through a balanced scoring offense with 10 of 11 players scoring and six players between nine and 13 points.

Aftershocks’ Shaq Morris blocks a shot against We Are D3 during the second half of their TBT match Friday night at Koch Arena. Hey Travis The Wichita Eagle

Samajae Haynes-Jones scored a game-high 13 points with three assists off the bench, while Darral Willis, who arrived in Wichita the same day, finished with a team-high 11 points and 12 rebounds. McDuffie had 12 points and five rebounds, while Frankamp added 10 points and four assists, Rashard Kelly scored nine points and was plus-18 in just eight minutes, and James Dickey finished with nine points and three steals.

“We have so many guys who can score and do so many different things, sometimes it can be difficult because it’s like building an all-star college team at your own school and everyone now plays a really big role in their professional teams. “, Bush said. “Sometimes it’s hard for some to give up things and make sacrifices, but these guys do a great job of sharing the wealth and making sure everyone benefits. We like it, unlike two guys who go for 30. I think we’re a little harder to guard when it’s like that.

With the drama of the game essentially removed in the first quarter, the only thing left to decide at the end was which player would take the final shot in Elam’s end.

TBT has introduced a new wrinkle to this year’s competition which pays players $1,000 if they wear Puma boots, a main sponsor of TBT, when they land the winning shot in the Elam Ending. That’s why, as the AfterShocks approached the target score of 83, Dickey and Willis, both wearing Puma shoes, got back into the game.

“That’s why Darral took it upon himself to get back in the game,” Bush said with a laugh. “I guess he really wanted that $1,000.”

It was Dickey who earned the extra spending money, packing a little extra punch when he closed the game with a pair of free throws.

What happened off the field may have held fans’ interest longer than the explosion on the field on Friday, as a power outage along 21st Street Friday night limited lighting and air conditioning and knocked out the jumbotron suspended above center court for the set. first half of Purple & Black-Lone Star Legends game before AfterShocks game.

It even caused all the lights to go out briefly during the game, as the Koch Arena went completely dark with K-State alum Thomas Gipson holding the ball at the foul line preparing to shoot a free throw before until the lights come back on.

Teams from Evergy and Wichita State worked together outside of Koch Arena to find a solution, which ultimately restored full lighting, air conditioning and the scoreboard for most of the second half of the season. Purple & Black game and the entire AfterShocks game.

AfterShocks 83, We Are D3 52 box score

Wichita Eagle Related Stories

The Wichita State Athletics beat the reporter. Get closer to the Shockers you love and the sports you love to watch.